Please click anywhere to continue browsing our site.
Pictured John & Leonard Holt
In 1927, Leonard Holt (pictured) bought this gas station which is on the same corner that our shop is on today. Notice the unique gas pumps that were used at that time. The gas had to be hand-pumped up into the glass cylinder at the top of the pump and it would then drain into the cars
In 1932, Leonard added onto the back of the building which doubled the size and started selling a few tires
In 1942, Leonard bought the building next door and used it for vulcanizing tires. Vulcanizing was very popular during World War II because new tires were not available. By 1947 rubber tractor tires were becoming popular so the tire business grew.
Business was good in the 1950s. Leonard Holt tore down the old original gas station and built a new one. He also enlarged the tire service area across the back of the building. The gas station was then rented out for 20 years. Since people could buy rubber tires now, the vulcanizing business dwindled. That building was made into a hardware store and office for the tire business.
In 1955, Leonard’s son Albert, built this horse out of lumber and old tires. It attracted lots of attention. People would stop and look at the horse and then buy tires! But sadly after 25 years the horse retired!
By 1965, a new service building was added. It had 4 bays and 1 alignment center.
This aerial view photo was taken in 1976. The gas station was taken back and used for more alignment and brake service area.
In 1993, the business was still growing rapidly and also out of room. So the Holt’s and Berardi’s (cousins) divided the business. The Holt’s stayed at original location and service autos, light truck and speciality tires. The Berardi’s moved to a new location and service large truck, farm and industrial tires. We then remodeled and moved the office into the main building and added 2 more bays to the alignment and brake shop.
In 2005, the name change… Just a family decision to go with a location name rather than using our last name.
80th Anniversary in 2007!! The Rubber Horse came back for the occasion and is still up on the roof today!
A location for Johnston! In 2012, Hilltop expanded to another location to serve the Johnston area!
Downtown location! In 2014, a 3rd location downtown was added to serve you better!